Absorb Plus Protein
- Uses the highest quality, most bioavailable source of whey protein on the market (we use cross-flow membrane, cold-extracted, whey protein isolate).
- Contains absolutely no casein and it is also lactose-free.
- Contains 27 grams of whey protein isolate per serving.
- Full explanation below…
- Use much cheaper (and less nutritious/bioavailable) protein sources like egg albumin, casein, whey concentrate, etc. When they do contain whey protein, it is often heat-extracted, which is a much cheaper extraction method, but it also denatures the protein.
- Particularly be wary of those that contain casein – as it is the milk protein that most people are allergic to.
- Many commercial products contain only 10 grams per serving of a nutritionally inferior protein – so you have to drink a LOT more shakes to get your required calories for the day.
Absorb Plus Protein
Protein is vitally important, not only for gaining weight, but for many different functions within the body. Aside from water, protein makes up the greatest portion of our body weight. Muscles, ligaments, tendons, organs, glands, nails, hair, enzymes, hormones and genes are all made of protein.
The amount of protein per serving contained in Absorb Plus (27 grams) was selected because research on bodybuilders has shown the maximum amount of protein that can be absorbed at any one time is 30 to 50 grams – the rest is flushed out in urine. Since most Absorb Plus consumers are unlikely to be professional bodybuilders trying to build muscle, we set the protein content (including amino acids) a few grams lower to ensure maximum utilization.
We have two different versions of Absorb Plus – one with a Vegan protein isolate, the other with Whey isolate. Here is a bit more info about each type:
Whey Isolate Protein
The protein used in Absorb Plus is the highest quality cold-extracted whey protein isolate only (no casein or egg albumin), with 99.8% of the lactose removed.
The protein component of Absorb Plus is a hydrolyzed whey protein isolate derived from an ion-exchange, cold, cross-flow membrane extraction method. This means the protein is not denatured (by heat or chemicals) but the di-sulphide bonds remain intact, and the protein can be easily absorbed and used by the body. Ion-exchange whey protein also creates sustained increases in glutathione (a key antioxidant and antiviral), which creates resistance to a variety of diseases and carcinogens. Other components of whey protein isolate provide the following protein benefits in the body:
- Alpha-lactalbumin enhances tryptophan and immune function and reduces the stress hormone cortisol.
- Tryptophan is used by the brain to manufacture serotonin. This is important because serotonin deficiency plays a role in the development of depression, anxiety, moodiness and insomnia. Adequate levels of serotonin can often improve these conditions.
- Glycomacropeptides stimulate the hormone cholecystokinin, which is responsible for the release of pancreatic enzymes and the healthy contraction of the gallbladder and bowels.
- Lactoferrin is an antioxidant that is also a powerful antiviral and antibacterial agent shown to inhibit the growth of E.coli, salmonella and candida in the gut. It also helps ensure the optimal use of iron in the body by binding to iron and preventing oxidation.
Whey protein is also an alkaline food, so it’s ideal for counteracting the usually hyper-acidic body pH levels of people in disease states, or with gastrointestinal problems or digestive disorders such as Crohn’s disease or inflammatory bowel disease. Don’t be surprised if your heartburn lessens or disappears after using Absorb Plus regularly – especially if you consume 3 or more servings per day.
With a biological value of 159 (BV), the BV of the protein contained in Absorb Plus is one of the highest available in a protein supplement. The biological value is the amount or percentage of protein that the body is able to absorb and use from a certain protein source. By comparison, an egg, long considered by scientists to be an ideal source of easily digested protein, has a biological value of 100.
The protein component in some other protein powders or liquid diet formulas consists solely of free-form amino acids to avoid any potential allergic reactions. However, amino acids alone are virtually useless for muscle development (putting meat on your bones). The only way amino acids can be used to maintain or gain weight or build muscle is by “piggybacking'” on a di-peptide or tri-peptide bond protein (like whey protein). Absorb Plus’ whey protein (with a BV of 159) also has a far superior BV to soy (74) or rice protein (59) – and frankly, most people agree it tastes a lot better.
However, as mentioned, the whey protein in Absorb Plus has also had the commonly allergenic milk protein and lactose components removed, and so may even be safe for people with a milk allergy.
*Please test a small amount first to be sure and if your allergy is severe, then don’t drink it, or only do so under the supervision of your physician.
Vegan Sprouted Rice Protein
In the vegan version, we use a certified organic, sprouted brown rice protein. It is a nutritionally beneficial source of plant-based protein along with essential minerals like potassium, magnesium and phosphorous. Similar to whey protein, the brown rice protein in Absorb Plus is high in branched-chain amino acids. It is also allergen-friendly!
Our brown rice protein is hexane-free and manufactured using a low-heat process to prevent denaturation. The protein is extracted using a chemical-free process, is not hydrolyzed, and does not contain MSG.
There is also absolutely no contamination with growth hormones, anabolic steroids, or antibiotics.