Absorb Plus Protein
- Uses the highest quality, most bioavailable source of whey protein on the market (we use cross-flow membrane, cold-extracted, whey protein isolate).
- Contains absolutely no casein and it is also lactose-free.
- Contains 27 grams of whey protein isolate per serving.
- Full explanation below…
- Use much cheaper (and less nutritious/bioavailable) protein sources like egg albumin, casein, whey concentrate, etc. When they do contain whey protein, it is often heat-extracted, which is a much cheaper extraction method, but it also denatures the protein.
- Particularly be wary of those that contain casein – as it is the milk protein that most people are allergic to.
- Many commercial products contain only 10 grams per serving of a nutritionally inferior protein – so you have to drink a LOT more shakes to get your required calories for the day.
Absorb Plus Protein
The protein used in Absorb Plus is of the highest quality, composed of cold-extracted whey protein isolate only (no casein or egg albumin) and 99.8% of the lactose has been removed. Protein is vitally important, not only for gaining weight, but for a myriad of functions within the body. Aside from water, protein makes up the greatest portion of our body weight. Muscles, ligaments, tendons, organs, glands, nails, hair, enzymes, hormones and genes are all composed of protein.
The protein component of Absorb Plus is a top quality whey protein isolate derived from a cold cross-flow membrane extraction method. This means the protein is not denatured (by heat or chemicals) but the di-sulphide bonds remain intact and the protein can be easily absorbed and utilized by the body. Cold-extracted whey protein isolate also creates sustained increases in glutathione (a key antioxidant and antiviral) which creates resistance to a variety of diseases and carcinogens. Other components of whey protein isolate provide the following beneficial actions in the body:
- Alpha-lactalbumin consumption enhances tryptophan and immune function and reduces the stress hormone cortisol
- Tryptophan is used by the brain to manufacture serotonin. This is important because serotonin deficiency plays a role in the development of depression, anxiety, moodiness and insomnia
- Glycomacropeptides stimulate the hormone cholecystokinin, which is responsible for the release of pancreatic enzymes and the healthy contraction of the gallbladder and bowels
- Lactoferrin is an antioxidant that is also a powerful antiviral and antibacterial agent shown to inhibit the growth of E.coli, salmonella and candida in the gut. It also helps ensure the optimal use of iron in the body by binding to iron and preventing oxidation.
Whey protein is also an alkaline shake, so it’s ideal for counteracting the usually hyper-acidic body pH levels of people with gastro-intestinal problems.
Don’t be surprised if your heartburn lessens or disappears after using Absorb Plus regularly – especially if you consume 3 or more servings per day.
With a Biological Value (BV) of 159, the BV of the protein contained in Absorb Plus is one of the highest available. By comparison, an egg, long considered by scientists to be an ideal source of easily digested protein, has a BV of 100. In addition, because the whey protein is isolated from the rest of the milk components, it is lactose-free, casein-free and easily tolerated. When people have a ‘dairy allergy’ they are often allergic to either lactose or the milk protein casein – both have been removed.
The amount of protein per serving contained in Absorb Plus (27 grams) was selected because research on bodybuilders has shown the maximum amount of protein that can be absorbed at any one time is 30-50 grams – the rest is flushed out in urine. Since Absorb Plus consumers are unlikely to be bodybuilders, we set the protein content (including amino acids) a few grams lower to ensure maximum utilization.
The protein component in some other formulas consists solely of free-form amino acids so as to avoid any potential allergic reactions. However, amino acids on their own are virtually useless for building muscle – i.e. putting meat on your bones. The only way amino acids can be used to maintain or gain weight is by ‘piggybacking’ on a di-peptide or tri-peptide bond protein (like whey protein). Absorb Plus’ whey protein also has a far superior BV to soy (74) or rice protein (59) – and frankly, as most people agree, it tastes a lot better. However, as mentioned above, the whey protein in Absorb Plus has also had the commonly allergenic milk protein and lactose components removed and so may be safe for people with a ‘milk allergy’.
*Please test a small amount first to be sure and if your allergy is severe, then don’t consume, or only do so under the supervision of your physician.